Friday 26 August 2011

Testing Times


Image Above and Below: Mackerel caught on a home made fishing lure.(look at that awful knot)
Location: Sound Of Iona, Scotland

Testing Times.

After an evening spin fishing in the bay with my new teaspoon lures (see previous posts) and sadly no results I took the boat out this morning to drop my wife and the kids over on Iona for playgroup. This left me an hour or so to kill and with a couple of rods on board, clear skies, a light breeze and swell that could rock you to sleep, fishing was almost compulsory. I trolled some homemade feathers and picked up a dozen mackerel as I move back up the sound of Iona. Having fulfilled my quota I tied my teaspoon pirk on and tossed it over the side while I gutted my catch. It is probably not the best lure for boat fishing in any depth of water as it lacks weight and took a long time to get down near the bottom. After a couple of minutes the line tightened and the rod tip danced, I hauled up a larger than average mackerel, but was more pleased with my lure than the fish. On the way back to Iona I rigged the lure six foot behind a paravane to get some depth and picked up another five good sized Mackerel plus a few undersized pollock and saithe which I returned.


No comments:

Post a Comment